Del 'N' Coluch Cook Meatfree
for Family and Friends
Created and Produced by Del Golden and Linda Colucci
Directed by Tom Morga
Del and Coluch Productions, 2001
Recipe for a Cooking Video
Featuring Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo Dishes
- Place the two women in a market with a shopping cart to be filled with fresh produce.
- Transfer the two into a kitchen where they proceed to create15 easy-to-prepare meat-free recipes in six segments with each segment featuring one complete meal.
- Keep reminding viewers that the recipes are quick and easy to make.
- Combine two completely different cultures to create unique recipes like Fried Tofu with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Cabernet-style Orzo or Swami G Broccoli.
- Prepare recipes like Meat-Free Meatballs with Fresh Tomato Sauce, Del's Sloppy Joes, Pignoli Nut Salad, Homemade Garlic Bread, Pizza with Creamy Cornmeal Sauce or Green Leaf Sauce, Meat-Free Stroganoff, Polenta Pancakes, and Baby Squash Surprise with Gourmet Chicken Bites.
- Create a homey atmosphere where the two cooks thoroughly enjoy the process of creating wholesome, delicious meals while kidding themselves about making grammatical errors as they speak. "Vegetables is or are ready? I hope there's no grammar teachers out there listening."
- Emphasize the casual informal approach to cooking by using the hands instead of utensils in preparing some foods. "Using your fingers adds more flavor," says Del. "Aprons are for wiping hands."
- Use unusual ingredients like kelp powder and homegrown hot peppers. "Every thing she cooks has soy sauce and kelp," says Coluch.
- Develop some recipes from prepared foods such as Nutri-Line Wheat Gluten and Veat Gourmet Bites, convenience foods for busy families.
- Have one chef omit an ingredient or two and have the other chef graciously come to the rescue.
- Employ humor throughout the video.
- Have someone write a theme song to be sung during the opening and closing of the video.
- Let people know they can find these recipes and "other goodies" at their website, http://www.del-n-coluch.com
Del and Coluch have successfully melded their two distinct cultures to create an informative instructional video that provides a good transition for people who eschew a carnivore diet. The two cooks provide an introduction to meat-free alternatives like tofu, wheat gluten, and commercially prepared meat substitutes. They are careful not to preach vegetarianism but attempt to show the simplicity of preparing wholesome vegetarian food.
Instead of creating an over-rehearsed, highly structured video, they have produced a spontaneous film that shows their personalities to advantage. The spontaneity occasionally creates problems, especially when the ingredients in the Green Leaf Sauce are not clearly indicated or when they inadvertently omit a recipe item.
Although the recipes are vegetarian, they rely on too many dairy products and are bit heavy on fat. The cooks do acknowledge substitutions for cheese, but fail to do the same for sour cream, half-and-half, and butter.
Del and Coluch are easy to watch because they're having fun interacting with each other as they prepare the food. The viewer shares their fun and recipes and even the occasional memory lapse. After all, most chefs will occasionally forget an item in a recipe.
Del 'N' Coluch Cook Meatfree for Family and Friends is a first step for people who want to move toward a plant-based diet. The video is available at http://www.del-n-coluch.com
Click here for Media Review Index