All the world is nuts about
What's in The Nut Gourmet
The fall season brings many pleasant changes--the weather becomes crisper, the earth turns and brings a softer glow to the sunshine, and a beautiful new crop of produce like apples and nuts comes to market. Enjoy the fresh harvest right at your table with a bright colored salad that makes an ideal pot luck dish, buffet table salad, light luncheon dish, individual salad starter, or even a tasty filling for a pita sandwich.
HAPPY HARVEST APPLE PECAN SALAD
1 cup (240 ml) pecans
1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 pound (225 g) extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium-size firm apples with skins (Fuji, Gala, Pink Lady, etc.), diced
3/4 cup (180 ml) dried apple rings, broken into 1/2-inch bits
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 large carrot, coarsely shredded
1/2 cup (120 ml) shredded unsweetened dried coconut
1/2 cup (1120 ml) New Moon Silk Dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Gas Mark 4). Spread pecans out on a jellyroll pan and toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove immediately, transfer to a dish to cool, and set aside.
- Measure the Bragg Liquid Aminos and lemon juice into a large, deep, non-stick skillet and add the tofu cubes. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon over high heat for about 5 minutes, or until the tofu cubes are nicely browned. Turn off the heat and set them aside to cool.
- Combine the apples, toasted apple rings, celery, shredded carrot, coconut, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooled toasted pecans and tofu cubes and mix well.
- Stir in the New Moon Silk Dressing, mixing well until everything is thoroughly coated. Adjust seasoning if needed. Makes 4 to 5 servings as a light lunch salad.
New Moon Silk Dressing
Yield: 3 cups (720 ml)
For those who gravitate to thick, creamy salad dressings, this recipe may very likely become a new favorite. It's great on greens and all varieties of tossed salads.
1 12-ounce (340 g) box soft silken tofu
1/2 cup (120 ml) organic canola oil
1/2 cup (120 ml) pistachios
1/4 cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup (60 ml) water
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Combine the tofu, 1/4 cup of the canola oil, and the pistachios in the blender. Start the machine on low speed and process until the pistachios are well ground and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup canola oil, vinegar, lemon juice, water, soy sauce, salt, garlic, and pepper, and blend until smooth and creamy, beginning on low speed for a few seconds, then switching to high speed. Blend on high speed for 1 full minute. Pour the remaining dressing into a small container for a future salad. Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, New Moon Silk Dressing will keep for one week.
Click here for past firstname.lastname@example.org recipes