All the world is nuts about
What's in The Nut Gourmet
During the holiday season, party hosts look forward to serving special dishes that not only delight the palate, but also excite the visual senses with a touch of drama. This tangy appetizer is ideal for special occasions that fulfill the host's need to prepare something ahead. The perfect icebreaker, this dish sparks conversation as everyone dips in together. Provide a basket of dipping breads like soft or toasted whole-grain pita wedges, quartered toasted whole-grain bread, baked corn chips, or cocktail breads.
GARLIC TOMATOES AND TOFU MOUNTAIN
2 1/2 pounds (1 kilo plus 113 g) Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
7 to 8 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 pound (450 g) extra firm tofu
2 large garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
1 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon well-drained capers
1 tablespoon minced red bell pepper
- To prepare the garlic tomatoes, combine the tomatoes and onions in a large, deep skillet and cook over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn heat down slightly to medium high, and add the garlic, salt, thyme, oregano, and basil. Stirring frequently, cook until the tomatoes and onions are broken down and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings if needed, transfer to a deep,10-inch (25 cm) pie plate, and set aside.
- To prepare the tofu mountain, drain and rinse the tofu, break it into pieces, and place it in the food processor.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until well blended to a creamy consistency.
- Spoon the tofu mountain into the center of the garlic tomatoes, forming a tall mound. Garnish with the capers, red bell pepper, and paprika. At this point you can refrigerate the appetizer to serve next day.
- To prepare the appetizer for serving, place it in a preheated 350 degree (Gas Mark 4) oven for 15 to 20 minutes until it is thoroughly heated through. Refrigerated, the leftovers keep well for 5 days. Makes about 10 to 12 servings.
Click here for past email@example.com recipes