All the world is nuts about
What's in The Nut Gourmet
When you're craving the reward of a sweet treat, consider these unique bar cookies with an irresistible almond filling sandwiched between layers of rich whole grains. They're easy to prepare and keep well up to two weeks when well-covered and refrigerated. Tightly sealed, they keep up to three months in the freezer, making them the ideal make-ahead treat.
This is one of the delicious recipes from Zel's Nut Gourmet cookbook.
ALMOND MACAROON SANDWICH BARS
Yield: about 24 cookies
2 cups (480 ml) whole almonds
1/2 cup (120 ml) plus 1 tablespoon organic sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) ((water
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups (300 ml) whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/4 (300 ml) cups rolled oats
1 cup (240 ml) dark brown sugar
3/4 cup (180 ml) Earth Balance margarine (6 ounces/170g)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. (Gas Mark 3) and have ready an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan.
- Grind the almonds medium-fine in the food processor. Add the sugar, water, and almond and vanilla extracts and process until the mixture is thoroughly combined and forms a soft paste. Set it aside and allow the mixture to thicken slightly.
- Combine the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, and margarine in a medium bowl. Blend into fine crumbs using a pastry blender or a fork.
- Spoon half the flour mixture into the baking dish, and press firmly with the back of a spoon to form a compact layer.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the almond mixture over the flour layer, covering it completely. Top with the remaining flour mixture, spreading to the edges, and press gently.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is a delicate golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares. Covered tightly, Almond Macaroon Sandwich Bars will keep for two weeks in the refrigerator or up to three months in the freezer.
Click here for past email@example.com recipes